Monday, May 18, 2009

Handshakes

I was going to write a post about stress, but that one is just going to have to wait a bit. Let's discuss handshakes instead.
Right now my right hand and wrist are throbbing. Thankfully, I have pain killers in my purse, so I know the pain will end soon. This could have been prevented if someone had taken a hint. They bring new hires around at work and introduce them to everyone. This is someone I will probably never see again and will not remember my name 20 minutes from now. Never the less, they are introduced and 9 times out of 10 these new hires want to shake your hand.
Not many people know I have been diagnosed with Fibro here at work. Mainly because I am trying to get ahead and don't want these people thinking I would not be able to do the job. I would not apply for a position I don't think I could physically handle, but I don't need the label stuck on me. I've been trying to come up with different ways to shake hands without subjecting myself to the 7 levels of hell afterwards and for the most part I've found that shaking with my fingertips works best. I might get a strange look, but the people accept the shake and move on.
Of course though, along comes a person that needs to be hit by a clue-by-four and decides they should still give the hearty squeeze and pump my arm up and down. :::sigh::: I know, I'm young-ish...I shouldn't have a problem shaking your hand Mr. New Hire, but for gods sake let go of me before I gnaw my hand off at the wrist!!
So, now I'm going to have to decided do I endure the pain and pop more pills, do I tell people I don't shake hands and get strange looks, or do I start hiding under my desk when I hear them coming around with the new people?

1 comment:

  1. Cough into your hand, say that you aren't sure by might be coming down with something, and tell them you don't want to make them sick? That might work.

    ReplyDelete